This is a full test of your peripheral vision. It involves placing your head in a bowl-like instrument that demonstrates pinpoint light targets in your peripheral for you to detect and respond to with a clicker button. It is usually done to assess the integrity of the retina, the optic nerve, and the visual pathway.
Specialized Testing: Visual Fields
Visual field testing is usually performed as extra testing for those patients who:
- Have glaucoma, or are determined as having potential risk factors for glaucoma.
- Are showing neurological concerns (stroke, MS, brain tumor, etc.).
- To rule out neurological involvement with vision loss or headaches.
- Who need confirmation of peripheral vision status for a drivers medical.
- Who are taking certain medications (ex: Plaquenil).